In case you need a reminder. I know I sure do sometimes. Somehow, when I turned 50, it was like I had this giant exhale. I knew in my bones: this is the time to Let. Shit. Go. Here is the let-go-to-do list I made for myself:
1. Let go of self-criticism. The world is hard enough on us. We don’t need to be so hard on ourselves.
2. Let go of your attachment to people who make you feel small. Pay attention to whether you feel expansive and opened up in someone’s presence, or contracted and shut down. It’s ok to let go of those who shut you down.
3. Let go of the belief that your success in life is dependent on your productivity.
4. Let go of the idea that you can do it all on your own. You simply don’t have to. There are people who want to help. And help feels really good.
5. Let go of the thought that if you say “no” you’re being mean. Not saying no, when you really really need to for your own health and sanity, is being mean to yourself.
6. Let go of the pressure to “do more.” Look at everything you are already doing. Wow. You are amazing.
7. Let go of thinking you’re not ready. Ready isn’t a starting point, it’s a state of mind. When you are always ready, opportunities find you.
8. Let go of your fear of failure. Not trying because you’re afraid of failing is one of life’s most limiting mistakes.
9. Let go of the small stuff. Dwelling on “what she said” or “what they did” is stagnating. Let it go and allow yourself to move beyond.
10. Let go of the urge to buy things you don’t need. Where is that inclination coming from? What is it you are really seeking? Focus on fulfilling your deeper desires rather than placating the superficial ones.
What do you need to let go of this year?